weblogUpdates.ping NiNi-Blog: Dreaming It, Living It, Bloggint It. http://nini-blog.blogspot.com/
 

[Q U O T E]
"Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one."
-Stella Adler

[R E C E N T]
[F E E D S]

Subscribe in Bloglines

Add to Google

Subscribe in FeedLounge

Add to Technorati Favorites

Feed Me!

I heart FeedBurner

[my M U S I C]
Buy the CD
CORVO: TERROREYES: The Demos
click to order

CORVO
@ MySpace
@ Pure Volume
Fantomatique Video

CORVO's on iTunes!

[L E N S]

www.flickr.com
NiNi Corvo's photos More of NiNi Corvo's photos

[A B O U T]
I'm NiNi, the lead vocalist of CORVO, and this is my personal blog [obviously, I'm an open book]!

I write a little bit about the band here, but mostly about personal and silly stuff. Although I don't blog about myself on the band's page, I don't mind if fans stumble upon this site and read it [if it's truly personal, it doesn't show up here].

The Flickr photo stream and the LastFM music feed drops many hints concerning the band's progress. Singing for CORVO and making art is my life's passion.

[Blogger Profile]
[Personality]
[My About Page

The current mood of NiNi at www.imood.com

[F I E N D S]

[M U S I C]

Android Lust
A Perfect Circle
Apocalyptica
Bauhaus
The Birthday Massacre
Blues Explosion
David Bowie
Celldweller
Claire Voyant
Collide
Cradle of Filth
The Cure
Dimmu Borgir
Fantomas / Mike Patton / Tomahawk
Bryan Ferry
The Gathering
Genitorturers
Godhead
H I M
Interlock
KMFDM
Lacuna Coil
Leaves' Eyes
Massive Attack
Loreena McKennitt
Ministry
Muse
My Ruin
Nine Inch Nails [N I N]
Gary Numan
Opeth
Otep
Popol Vuh
Porcupine Tree
Portishead
Roxy Music
Claudio Simonetti [Goblin]
Siouxsie Sioux
Skinny Puppy
Strapping Young Lad
System Of A Down
Tapping The Vein
TOOL
Tristania
Type O Negative
Underworld
Voltaire
Tom Waits
Rob Zombie

[F A V E S]
[A List in Progress]

[P A S T]
[C R E D I T S]
Drak Net

Design: Blogfrocks
Powered by Blogger
Photo: Intertia Stock x.Chng
Brushes: Tere-Art
 
17 October 2006
The Horror of Amadeus
 
I was thinking this morning about certain movies that I like to watch every year during fall and winter, and of course, in October, the horror films dramatically increase. Sure, we watch horror films just about every weekend anyway, but in October, the DVD player is constantly looping through old favorites and new finds.

One movie that I really get in the mood for this time of year is Amadeus, and while thinking about getting my DVD out and watching it for about the 40th time, I thought about how this film is actually a horror film for me.

The story is based on a Viennese urban legend in which a "mediocre" composer, Salieri becomes consumed with jealousy and driven to murder. The film kicks off with Salieri's graphic suicide attempt, which is visually tattooed into my brain forever. At the core of Salieri's thorough and masterful murder plot is the "ghost" of Amadeus' father, represented by a creepy mask. When Salieri denounces God and the Christian church, the scene is very similar to Coppola's Dracula, in which Dracul laments about the very same betrayal. Even though Salieri doesn't shape shift into an enormous bat-demon, he looks just as monstrous in those scenes, and the venom he spouts is just as chilling.

Then there's the whole musical underscore. The haunting sounds of choir boys in churches; the frightening scenes from one of Mozart's darkest operas, Don Giovanni, in which the huge ghost bursts through the walls and sings his horrifying refrain. The somber movements of Mozart's Requiem, a funeral mass written for his dead father resounds throughout, and it really gets under the skin.

The movie is haunting and disturbing, but so incredibly beautiful at the same time. I even remember our drive home after having seen it in the theater in the '80s. It was dark, cold, rainy and foggy, like the closing scene of the film, and I was thoroughly creeped out to my core.

It's a masterful film and absolutely mood-drenched and veiled in what seems like many, many ghosts from Mozart's life, both real and imagined. I highly recommend seeing it if you have not... especially on a cold, rainy night.

Labels: , , , , , ,




      Webset Copyright © Blogfrocks
Photo Copyright © Intertia Stock x.Chng